Update: LDS Missionary Involved in Accident Has Died

Set Text Size SmallSet Text Size MediumSet Text Size LargeSet Text Size X-Large
Updated: 9/06/2013 1:56 pm
Update: KPVI News 6 has learned that the LDS missionary who was involved in an accident has died. His actual date of death is listed as September 4, 2013.

Eric Hawkins, a spokesperson for the Church of Jesus Christ of Later-day Saints, has issued this statement: 

“Elder Taylor Shane Ward, age 19, serving in the Idaho Pocatello Mission since July 2013, from Vacaville, California, was critically injured yesterday in an automobile accident. He is currently on life support and is not expected to live. Every member of the Church feels the loss of a missionary. We are deeply saddened, and share with his family, friends and fellow missionaries in their grief. We extend to them our love, our prayers and our deepest sympathy. Elder Ward’s companion received minor injuries, and has been released from the hospital this morning.”

Original Story:

A spokesperson for Portneuf Medical Center says the LDS missionary, who was earlier reported to be dead by Idaho State Police, is actually alive but in critical condition.

Brenda Stanley says Elder Taylor Ward, 19, of Vacaville, California arrived at the hospital last night with life-threatening injuries and remains in extremely critical condition at this time.

Meanwhile, a second missionary for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints who was injured in a crash on SH39 in Bingham County has been released from the hospital.

Paul Kotter says Elder John Floyd, 20, of Deep Run, North Carolina, was released from the hospital Wednesday morning.

Captain Eric Dayley, Idaho State Police, says the accident happened just before 6:00 p.m., near Rockford.  A 2013 Chevrolet Cruze, driven by Elder Floyd failed to yield at a stop sign at the intersection of Highway 39 and 100 South.  The car was hit on the passenger side by a 2010 Ford F350 which was headed south.  Elder Floyd was taken to Bingham Memorial Hospital.  ISP reported that Elder Ward was taken to Portneuf Medical Center where he later died.  We're learning those reports are incorrect and that Elder Ward is still alive but in extremely critical condition.

The driver of the truck was not seriously injured.

Everyone was wearing a seatbelt. 

KPVI News Six has reached out to LDS Church Headquarters in Salt Lake City and we're waiting for a statement which officials said would be released around mid-day.
0 Comment(s)
Comments: Show | Hide

Here are the most recent story comments.View All

No comments yet!
Rio 2016
All content © Copyright 2015 to Idaho Broadcast Partners LLC . All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.
Inergize Digital This site is hosted and managed by Inergize Digital.
Mobile advertising for this site is available on Local Ad Buy.