Information provided by Southeastern Idaho Public Health
Southeastern Idaho Public Health has confirmed a case of COVID-19 in Caribou County. This brings the total to eight cases (5 in Bannock County, 2 in Bingham County, and 1 in Caribou County) in southeastern Idaho.
The patient is a female in her 50s from Caribou County. The case appears to be travel related. She is home recovering.
Epidemiologists at SIPH are working to investigate possible contacts. All household members of the confirmed cases have been asked to self-isolate at home for a prescribed period of time. If other people are found to have been exposed, health officials will provide guidance to these individuals and they will be asked to self-monitor for the development of symptoms.
SIPH will continue to monitor the situation closely and is working with the Idaho Department of Health and Welfare, city and county leaders, schools, emergency management, healthcare providers, and our community at large to help prevent the spread of this virus.
Prevention methods include:
- Follow Governor Little’s Statewide Stay-Home Order at coronavirus.idaho.gov
- Stay home if you are sick.
- Avoid people who are sick.
- Practice social distancing (6ft).
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. If soap and water are not available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer with at least 60% alcohol.
- Cover your nose and mouth with a tissue or your sleeve when you cough or sneeze.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands.
- Cleaning and disinfecting surfaces and objects that may be contaminated with germs using a disinfecting solution.
If you believe you have been exposed, make sure to self-isolate. If you need medical attention, please call your healthcare provider in advance of a visit to discuss your symptoms and next steps.
SIPH has opened a call center to field questions from the community and will be open Monday-Friday 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. You can reach the hotline at (208) 234-5875.
For Idaho-specific information about the novel coronavirus, please visit https://coronavirus.idaho.gov/. For southeast Idaho information, please visit siphidaho.org or join them Monday-Friday at 11 am for Facebook Live.